St. David's Episcopal Church Welcomes You!
St. David's Episcopal Church is located in the beautiful Manayunk section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Please join us for Sunday Worship at 9 a.m. We continue to grow. The church, built in the late 1800's is one of the most beautiful Episcopal churches in the area. Please join us.
About St. David's
The Episcopal Church of St. David's, Manayunk, was founded December 3, 1831 to be the spiritual home for people churched in the Anglican tradition who had recently arrived in the area. For the most part, these were mill workers, and they had come, with their families, to find employment in the local textile industry then being built near the new canal in the Schuylkill River.
In 1832 the cornerstone was laid for the first church built on the present site. That structure was destroyed by fire in 1879 and the church edifice now in use, designed by James Stafford, a Vestry member and local mill-owner, was consecrated in 1881.
St. David, the patron saint of Wales who died March 1, probably in 589, and for whom this parish is named, is so honored in his native land because his ascetic example, missionary zeal, and monastic foundations were significant contributions in maintaining the light of Christian life and learning during the European Dark Ages. St. David's Church - 1872